Before you begin
What you need
- A working instance of Dynatrace server.
- Administrator credentials for the servers where the Dynatrace Managed node will be installed.
- An up-to-date Linux distribution supported by Dynatrace Managed.
Download the installer
Downloading the installer is fairly easy—just log in to your Dynatrace Server and click Download node installer on the Cluster nodes page.
The node installer is a bit different than the installer you used to set up your firstDynatrace Server instance. The node installer knows the seed cluster server address and has the latest configuration.
If you use the same installer that you used to install your master server, you'll end up with two Dynatrace Server instances working independently.
wget command line and paste it into your terminal window. Wait for the download to complete and then begin the installation.
Run the installer
You'll need root rights to install a Dynatrace Managed cluster node.
You can use
sudo to run the installation script. To do this, type one of the following commands into the directory where you downloaded the installation script.
If you're on an Ubuntu Server, use the following command:
sudo /bin/bash dynatrace-managed-installer.sh
If you're using Red Hat Enterprise Linux:
su -c '/bin/bash dynatrace-managed-installer.sh'
If you start a root session:
The installer works in interactive mode. It displays prompts for values like installation path, the seed node administrative account and password. You can accept the default values by pressing
Enter . To override the settings, type your choices in the terminal and press
The installer then establishes a secure connection to the seed Dynatrace Server, verifies the credentials, and registers the new Dynatrace Server node.
- Installation path (binaries):
- Dynatrace Server data files:
- The system user who runs Dynatrace processes:
- The system group who runs Dynatrace processes:
Dynatrace Managed Cluster is a set of specialized components that have been configured to host your monitoring environment, process monitoring data, and to scale up for flawless operation.
The installer sets up the following components in the installation directory (by default,
- Pre-configured Java Runtime Environment
No operating system settings are affected. Not visible in your
- Cassandra-based Hypercube storage
- Elasticsearch-based search engine
- Dynatrace Server
- Security Gateway
The installer also optimizes operating system settings:
- Swap is turned off (with
PREROUTING" rules are enhanced to enable forwarding communication to Dynatrace Server (HTTPS to port 8021). To see the exact rules, type
iptables -L -vt natin your terminal.
readaheadpage cache is set to 512.
- Limits for users are changed globally (unlimited locked-in-memory address space, unlimited address space, increased limit for number of processes and open files).
After the installation is finished on the server, click Back to return to your web browser. You'll soon see that the new node is connected.