Data Center RUM is the real user monitoring and network performance probe-based power module for Dynatrace SaaS/Managed. The DC RUM power module provides extensive network usage and performance analytics that enable you to extend Dynatrace monitoring visibility into all the application communications that pass over your network, including those of major enterprise technologies like SAP, Oracle, and Citrix.
Connect Dynatrace DC RUM with Dynatrace to get seamless visibility into all of your applications and service network activity, without touching your servers. By integrating DC RUM insights with Dynatrace, you get complete network visibility alongside the deep code- and process-level metrics you already receive from your Dynatrace OneAgent-instrumented hosts.
Dynatrace DC RUM complements Dynatrace OneAgent-monitored environments by providing network, web, and non-web application performance visibility into all servers running inside your data centers. By combining Dynatrace DC RUM monitoring capabilities with Dynatrace, you get full data center visibility out of the box, automatic detection of performance and availability issues, and automatic alerts to hot spots where it’s recommended that you install OneAgent to get additional process-level visibility.
Connect DC RUM with your Dynatrace SaaS/Managed environment
The DC RUM Agentless Monitoring Device (AMD) monitors all servers that receive traffic within your data centers. This includes all the servers where you’ve installed OneAgent for full-stack visibility. Both AMD and OneAgent identify servers using the same IP address and port numbers. The DC RUM Central Analysis Server (CAS) sends preprocessed monitoring data to your Dynatrace environment where the Dynatrace Smartscape topology mapping algorithm correlates the data at the process level.
What you’ll need
- Existing software services for your Web, SAP, or Citrix applications set up in DC RUM.
- Enablement of CAS connectivity to your Dynatrace SaaS/Managed instance. The CAS needs to connect to a Dynatrace Managed or SaaS environment URL on port 443.
- Deployment of OneAgent on each mission-critical host on which you’ve defined your DC RUM software services (for full-stack visibility and to complete your Smartscape topology map). Dynatrace SaaS/Managed discover these candidates automatically and guides you through OneAgent deployment..
- Permission to sign into both the DC RUM Console and Dynatrace SaaS/Managed as an environment administrator.
- Installation of a DC RUM supported browser so that you can access both DC RUM and Dynatrace SaaS/Managed.
- It's recommended that you configure 1 minute reporting intervals in your DCRUM environment before sending data to Dynatrace.
Configure the connection
DC RUM setup is straightforward. In short, you begin by adding your Dynatrace Managed cluster or SaaS environment as a new device in the RUM Console and then assign the device as a data stream to CAS. Once you save the configuration, CAS immediately begins sending monitoring data to your Dynatrace environment.
Add your Dynatrace Managed cluster or SaaS environment to your RUM Console. In the RUM Console, add Dynatrace as one of the devices. For full details, see Add device. You need to provide the URL and the automatically generated integration token to authorize the connection between CAS and Dynatrace. You can copy/paste the token or import it automatically. In either case, you need to be able to sign in as a Dynatrace SaaS/Managed environment administrator.
Identify the added device as the CAS data stream. For details, see Data sources and destinations.
Configure CAS data export.
In the RUM Console, go to CAS configuration and click Dynatrace SaaS/Managed data export. Here you can select the scope of the exported data. You can either export all data or limit the type of data that are exported by selecting one of three options:
- Data from user-defined software services (i.e., no auto-discovered services)
- Data from a specific software service
- Data from a specific analyzer group
Note: If you select Export all, the CAS will only send the data gathered by the analyzers that are supported by the integration (i.e., web, SAP, SAP RFC, or Citrix). Click the Apply button to save your changes.
DC RUM monitoring information now automatically appears within your Dynatrace environment. Following is detail on the monitoring data that DC RUM provides:
Web monitoring data
We use the HTTP decoder to not only analyze your web applications, but also to monitor SOAP, XML, and Oracle Forms enterprise applications. For HTTP based software services, the unification works for both user-defined and auto-discovered software services. For each auto-discovered software service exported to Dynatrace, we report a corresponding data center service. For user-defined software services, we additionally report the application (assuming you’ve already deployed OneAgent on a host defined in the software service configuration) or, if you haven’t deployed OneAgent on a host defined in the software service configuration, we report the application as a monitoring candidate.
SAP monitoring data
We report on two flavors of SAP. SAP GUI, a UI frontend for SAP applications, and SAP RFC, the application backend. For each exported SAP GUI user-defined software service, we report a corresponding data center service and application/candidate per each SAP SID. For each exported SAP RFC user-defined software service, we report a corresponding data center service only.
Citrix monitoring data
For each exported Citrix user-defined software service, we report both a corresponding data center service and an application/candidate.
View DC RUM data in Dynatrace
To view DC RUM monitoring data in Dynatrace
From the Dynatrace navigation menu, select Applications. Here you will find all monitored applications, both Dynatrace OneAgent-monitored applications (listed under Web applications and Mobile applications) as well as DC RUM monitored applications (listed under Enterprise applications). Enterprise applications for each user-defined software service are displayed automatically.
Select an Enterprise application to view that application’s overview page.
All DC RUM software services that are supported by CAS data export appear in the Data Center Services list. Click these services to view individual DC Service pages.
Both Enterprise applications and DC Services are integrated into your Dynatrace topology and visualized in Smartscape. If OneAgent is running on a server that hosts a given software service and application, Smartscape will include the related processes and host infrastructure metrics, including all log analysis capabilities.
If you're working in DC RUM, you can alternatively begin your analysis from the Software Service column in the DC RUM CAS Operation explorer report. This takes you directly to the related data service page. Note that a link is available only for those services that are exported to Dynatrace SaaS/Managed.
Because the Dynatrace integration with DC RUM is currently only available as part of our Early Access Program, there are some limitations that you need to be aware of:
- There's currently no single sign-on functionality between DC RUM and Dynatrace.
- You can send data from multiple CAS to a single Dynatrace environment or cluster. To do this, ensure that the CAS servers don’t overlap in their service reporting because the Dynatrace SaaS/Managed isn’t capable of deduplicating the data.
- Dynatrace SaaS/Managed currently only reports aggregate user metrics. There's currently no visibility into real user experience or user-action performance .
- Although it's technically possible to export data from one CAS to multiple Dynatrace SaaS/Managed instances, we recommend that you add only a single data destination to the CAS.