Your web application provides certain key functionality to your customers that is critical to the success of your business. Clickpath web checks ensure that this functionality is available to your customers 24/7.
With our easy-to-use Dynatrace recorder (a Google Chrome browser plugin), you can gain visibility into the availability and performance of your application’s most important functionality with just a few clicks.
Use the Dynatrace recorder to record the exact sequences of clicks that you want your simulated user visits to follow when web checks are replayed. You can record button clicks, page scrolls, and even user input. The Dynatrace recorder captures each event and converts it into a script that is played back each time you run the web check.
It’s a good idea to record clickpaths that force your application to perform one or more key transactions that are critical to the success of your business and involve all the elements of your IT infrastructure.
Install the Dynatrace recorder plugin
You need to install Dynatrace recorder to begin. Following installation, the recorder will be automatically updated whenever new features become available.
- Click the Web checks tile on home dashboard.
- Click Add web check on the menu bar.
- When prompted to Add “Dynatrace Recorder”, click Add Extension.
Record a clickpath web check
- Click the Record clickpath web check button.
The Configure web check settings page appears along with a new Dynatrace Recorder browser instance that’s pre-loaded with the URL you’ve specified.
- In the Dynatrace Recorder browser instance, click through your application, simulating one of your application’s key use cases (logging in, searching for a product, placing an order, etc). As you walk through your application, each action is recorded for future playback.
- On the Configure web check settings page, configure frequence, location, and other settings for your availability web check, as explained in How do I configure web checks?
- Click the Validate clickpath button to confirm that your clickpath works in your local environment.
- Click Create a web check to begin monitoring the availability of your application using this recorded clickpath. Within a few minutes, you’ll be monitoring your business-critical transaction for availability and performance.