Automatic naming of XHR user actions based on URLs
User action names are generated automatically based on triggered Ajax/XHR URLs. By including an extraction rule following each specific URL pattern, Dynatrace can provide intuitive automatic naming of XHR user actions.
Auto-detected user action names are often difficult to read, remember, and track. User-action naming rules give you options for generating consistent and readable user actions that can more easily be tracked across user experience charts and graphs. This includes the tracking of conversion goals for vital business workflows and user actions. Cross-process user actions can be set up as key user actions which you can then use to track your application's success in achieving business conversion goals (for example, add to shopping cart actions, login actions, and newsletter signup actions). For details on conversion tracking, see Conversion goals.
Once you define detection and naming rules for your application’s user actions, your custom user action names are used throughout Dynatrace, including for example in the Key user actions and Top consumers lists.
Dynatrace can distinguish between two user action types:
- Load actions — These occur when a user enters a URL into a browser or the user navigates to a new web page.
- XHR actions — These occur when a browser loads some content in the background without refreshing the entire page.
To access user-action naming rules
- Select Applications from the navigation menu.
- Select the application you want to configure.
- Click the Browse [...] button.
- Select Edit.
- Within Application settings, click User actions.
Cleanup and extraction rules
Another option for automatically generating names for detected user actions is extraction rules that are based on Java regular expressions syntax.
Cleanup rules are executed first, followed by naming rules. Extraction rules are executed last.